U.S. Bank Stadium
New Stadium. New Customer.
The evolving and growing downtown Minneapolis story now includes a striking architectural landmark – U.S. Bank Stadium, home of the Minnesota Vikings. Equally notable to us and to stadium operators, it's also evidence of another customer taking advantage of the efficiencies that come with being part of the Energy Center Minneapolis's district heating/cooling system. That's something sports fans and stadium operators have benefited from since the opening of the facility in 2016.
- First game – August 28, 2016
- Groundbreaking – December, 2013
- Seating capacity – 66,200 (expandable to 72,000)
- Comparative size – two times the size of previous stadium (Metrodome)
- Square footage – 1,750,000
- Height – 30 stories high at tallest point
- Energy Center Minneapolis customer – steamed and chilled-water service
- Main benefit – allowed facility to avoid costs and construction challenges of an on-site energy plant
- Integration – chilled-water pipeline extended to the site in 2015 from existing system
- Steam system was already present in area for quick connection
Clearway Energy in the Community
- About the Clearway Energy Energy Center Minneapolis
- Learn all the ways Clearway Energy is connected in Minneapolis